Skip navigation
Skip navigation

Hotel Canberra, Yarralumla, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory

This image is provided for research purposes only and must not be reproduced without the prior permission of the Archives Program, Australian National University.

Download (17.59 MB)


dc.contributor.otherCommonwealth Department of Information
dc.coverage.spatialCommonwealth Avenue, Yarralumla, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
dc.date.accessioned2004-02-25T22:43:14Z
dc.date.accessioned2011-01-06T04:04:04Z
dc.date.available2004-02-25T22:43:14Z
dc.date.available2011-01-06T04:04:04Z
dc.date.created1945-1950
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1885/338
dc.identifier.urihttp://digitalcollections.anu.edu.au/handle/1885/338
dc.description.abstractView from Commonwealth Avenue of women playing croquet in the grounds of the Hotel Canberra, with in the background the low-lying, deep-roofed buildings of the Hotel's south wing. The grounds include croquet lawns, rose beds and extensive plantings of trees such as Lombardy poplars and conifers. Originally a government hostel, it was built by the Federal Capital Commission to plans by John Murdoch, who had been asked to design the hostel along garden pavilion lines. One and two storey accommodation wings radiate from garden courtyards in this form of architecture.The strong horizontal feel of the complex is also an expression of the influence of the American Prairie style. Hotel Canberra originally opened as Hostel No 1 in 1925. It did not yet have hotel status because prohibition prevented liquor sales. In 1927 it became the government managed Hotel Canberra. From 1950 to 1974 it was leased to Tooheys Brewery and when the lease expired was used as government offices until 1985. In 1987 it was re-opened as Hyatt Hotel Canberra. As the hotel is located a short walk away from Parliament House it has accommodated and still accommodates many parliamentarians and visiting dignitaries. In the past, the members who stayed at Hotel Canberra tended to be those from the conservative parties, while Labour politicians preferred Hotel Kurrajong. The Canberra Croquet Club was established 8 March 1928 and its members still play on the Hyatt Hotel croquet lawns.This photograph is from an album that was held at the London office of the Australian National University over the period 1949 to 1952. The album was used to inform prospective staff about Canberra. These images are part of the series produced by the Department of Information and kept at the National Archives of Australia in Canberra. National Archives holdings in this series have gaps and some images may be held only at the ANU Archives.
dc.format.extent18015668 bytes
dc.format.extent15.6cm x 21cm
dc.format.mediumphotograph
dc.format.mediumb&w
dc.format.mimetypeimage/tiff
dc.language.isoen_AU
dc.relation.ispartofAustralian National University promotional album
dc.relation.ispartofseriesPhotograph album comprising 41 images of Canberra, ANUA 13
dc.rightsThis image is provided for research purposes only and must not be reproduced without the prior permission of the Archives Program, Australian National University.
dc.subject.otherhotels & taverns
dc.subject.othercroquet
dc.subject.othergardens
dc.subject.otherArchitect: Murdoch, John Smith
dc.subject.otherHotel Canberra (Hyatt Hotel)
dc.subject.otherCanberra Croquet Club
dc.subject.otherFederal Capital Commission
dc.titleHotel Canberra, Yarralumla, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
local.description.notesNational Archives of Australia Number: L8560. Not listed on NAA RecordSearch database
local.description.notesStamped on verso: AUSTRALIAN/OFFICIAL/PHOTOGRAPH/ DEPT. OF INFORMATION
local.description.notesInscribed in pencil on verso: 5
local.description.notesTyped on caption below image: Part of the grounds of the Hotel/Canberra. There are two croquet/lawns where members of the Canberra/Croquet Club play on weekdays.
dc.date.issued2004-02-25T22:43:14Z
local.citationANUA13-B1-28
CollectionsCanberra Album

Download

File Description SizeFormat Image
01-15-B1-28.tif17.59 MBTIFFThumbnail


Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

Updated:  19 May 2020/ Responsible Officer:  University Librarian/ Page Contact:  Library Systems & Web Coordinator