Edwards, Laura; Wilson, K.; Veitch, Mark
Paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP) is a rare illness caused by eating shellfish containing paralytic shellfish toxins (PST). Toxins are produced during harmful algal blooms, which occur most years on the east coast of Tasmania. Contaminated seafood looks and tastes normal and toxins are not destroyed by cooking or freezing. Commercial shellfish farms are monitored for harmful algae and shellfish toxins, but wild shellfish are not and pose a potential public health risk.
A case of PSP was...[Show more]
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.