Victorian Tailoresses' Association

Permanent URI for this community

The Tailoresses' Association of Melbourne was formed in 1880 and began meeting with the Tailors' Trade Protection Society in 1905. The Pressers' Union, which had formed in 1884, amalgamated with the Cutters' & Joiners' Union in 1902 to form the Victorian Clothing Operatives' Union.

In 1907, the Tailoresses' Association of Melbourne, the Tailors' Trade Protection Society, the Victorian Clothing Operatives' Union and other interstate clothing unions combined to form the Federated Clothing Trades Union of the Commonwealth of Australia. As elements of the trade incorporated into the union, it changed names to the Federated Clothing & Allied Trades Union in 1922, the Amalgamated Clothing & Allied Trades Union in 1924 and the Clothing & Allied Trades Union of Australia in 1947. In 1992 another change of name was effected, this time to the Textile, Clothing & Footwear Union of Australia.

Browse

Collections in this Community

Now showing 1 - 1 of 1