Federated Ironworkers Association
The Federated Ironworkers Association of Australia was formed in Sydney on 25 September 1908 by delegates from New South Wales and Victoria. By 1909 it had branches in New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia and Queensland. The Federation was registered on 20 May 1911. In October and November 1942 the Federation met with the Arms Explosives and Munition Workers' Federation regarding amalgamation and a National Executive Council was set up in 1943 representing the Federal Committees of Management of both Unions. The name of the organisation was to be the Metal & Munition Workers' Union but it was never registered as such. In 1975 the FIA amalgamated again with the Federated Artificial Fertilizer and Chemical Workers' Union of Australia. Although reregistering, the Union remained known as the Federated Ironworkers' Association of Australia. A further amalgamation with the Australasian Society of Engineers in 1991 created the Federation of Industrial Manufacturing and Engineering Employees. A year later the Australian Glass Workers' Union joined and by 1993, the Federation of Industrial Manufacturing and Engineering Employees merged with the Australian Workers' Union to form the AWU-FIME Amalgamated Union.