How the Canberra camel got its hump : the departmental board's plan, its origins and consequences
When the first peg was driven by King O’Malley on 20 February 1913 to start construction of Australia’s capital the work was based, not on the thoroughbred design of Griffin, but on a camel designed by a committee. This was the Board’s plan drawn up by David Miller, Percy Owen and Charles Scrivener assisted by George Oakshott, John Murdoch and Thomas Hill. It is comforting to think the camel was a short lived aberration but that is not the case.
|Collections||ANU Urban Research Unit/Program|
|Access Rights:||Open Access|
|WorkingPaperNo.54.pdf||7.66 MB||Adobe PDF|
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.