Public bar in the Hollywood Hotel, corner of Hunt and Foster Streets, Surry Hills, Sydney
|Collections||Tooth & Company Limited|
|Date created:||After 1940|
View of a curved linoleum-topped bar edged with corrugated chrome and faced with marbled tiles. The tiles are also used on the walls in conjunction with plain tiles and as trims. The room has a tiled floor, streamlined cornices and is lit by bowl shaped ceiling lights. Other details include leadlight decoration on the window above the doors, ventilation openings, an electric urn and a switchboard. Originally known as the Navada, the hotel's name was changed to Hollywood in October 1941. The Hollywood Hotel was owned by the Perpetual Trustee Co. Ltd., but was tied to buy Tooth & Company beer according to the terms of a Head Lease. On completion of rebuilding in 1940 the hotel was a four storeyed brick structure with a fully tiled ground floor exterior and a tile roof. The architectural style is known as P. & O. Ship Style because of its similarities to ocean liner forms.
|Location:||Hunt Street, Surry Hills, Sydney|
Foster Street, Surry Hills, Sydney
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.