Aerial view of Goldsbrough Mort Wool Store, Pyrmont, New South Wales
|Collections||Goldsbrough Mort & Company|
|Title:||Aerial view of Goldsbrough Mort Wool Store, Pyrmont, New South Wales|
|Author(s):||Photographer: Milton Kent|
Goldsbrough Mort constructed a large wool store in Pyrmont (Sydney) in 1883, which would eventually have the capacity to hold 70,000 bales of wool. The original building was designed by William Pritchard and constructed by the Stuart Bros. It was the first of many wool stores that populated the Pyrmont peninsula. The Goldsbrough Mort Wool Store was extended in 1924, but on 25 September 1935 the building was destroyed by fire. The fire caused an estimated 750,000 Pounds of damage, including the destruction of 525,000 Pounds of wool stored in the building. Goldsbrough Mort quickly and faithfully recreated the building, with the new wool store opening in 1936. The building operated as a wool store until the 1970s, when operations shifted to Yennora. In 1995 the building was redeveloped as apartments, although the heritage-listed exterior has been retained.
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.