View of the Lydiart Street from Bath's Hotel, Ballarat, Victoria

Date

Authors

Journal Title

Journal ISSN

Volume Title

Publisher

Victoria illustrated, published by Sands & Kenny, Melbourne & Sydney, 1857

Abstract

Street scene with people, animals and vehicles. On the right hand side of the road are timber houses, fences and open land and on the left can be seen some substantial stone buildings. The latter include a gabled structure with a flagpole and the two storeyed Ballaarat Hotel which is surmounted by a lantern with a mast. The street has kerbs and a street light. Some men carry tools such as picks and may be miners while others are dressed in top hats and suits. As well as a horse rider there are various horsedrawn vehicles and bullock carts. In 1852 the Victorian government surveyor, W.H. Urquhart, who laid out the township of Ballarat, decided that the main street should be called Lydiard Street. John Charles Pitfield Lydiard had been the escort officer-in-charge of the police who had convoyed the gold from Ballarat to Melbourne.

Description

Keywords

Citation

Source

Type

Image

Book Title

Noel Butlin Archives Centre. ANU Archives Program.
Goldsbrough Mort & Company Ltd

Entity type

Access Statement

License Rights

DOI

Restricted until