View of the Lydiart Street from Bath's Hotel, Ballarat, Victoria
|Collections||Elder Smith and Company|
Street scene with people, animals and vehicles. On the right hand side of the road are timber houses, fences and open land and on the left can be seen some substantial stone buildings. The latter include a gabled structure with a flagpole and the two storeyed Ballaarat Hotel which is surmounted by a lantern with a mast. The street has kerbs and a street light. Some men carry tools such as picks and may be miners while others are dressed in top hats and suits. As well as a horse rider there are various horsedrawn vehicles and bullock carts. In 1852 the Victorian government surveyor, W.H. Urquhart, who laid out the township of Ballarat, decided that the main street should be called Lydiard Street. John Charles Pitfield Lydiard had been the escort officer-in-charge of the police who had convoyed the gold from Ballarat to Melbourne.
|Location:||Lydiard Street, Ballarat, Victoria|
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.