View of Spring Hill from road to Government Camp, Creswick's Creek, Victoria
|Collections||Elder Smith and Company|
View of figures and buildings on a goldfield. This scene would have been on the route to the camp of the local goldfield Commissioner. Gold was discovered in the Creswick district, north of Ballarat in 1851. Details such as the scattered distribution of the miners, the simplicity of tools like the pick and bucket and, in the background the windlass structures for winding up buckets indicate that most of the mining in this field was alluvial. It was not until 1872 that gold was found below the basalt bedrock. The engraving also depicts a carriage drawn by two horses. The buildings are of mostly timber construction, including one with a sign inscribed BUTCHER &c.
|Location:||Spring Hill, Victoria|
Creswick Creek, Victoria
Creswick North, Victoria
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.