Skip navigation
Skip navigation

View of the township of Keilor from south side of bridge, Victoria

This image is provided for research purposes only and must not be reproduced without the prior permission of the Archives Program, Australian National University.

Download (51.38 MB)


dc.contributor.otherTingle, J., engraver
dc.contributor.otherGill, S.T. (Samuel Thomas), 1818-1880 artist
dc.contributor.otherSands & Kenny, publisher
dc.coverage.spatialKeilor, Victoria
dc.coverage.spatialMaribyrnong River, Victoria
dc.date.accessioned2004-02-25T05:57:36Z
dc.date.accessioned2011-01-05T11:31:52Z
dc.date.available2004-02-25T05:57:36Z
dc.date.available2011-01-05T11:31:52Z
dc.date.created1857
dc.identifier002-882-01
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1885/87
dc.description.abstractView of travellers on a road leading to a bridge, with the village of Keilor in the distance. The foreground figures include a man carrying swags on both his back and front and two men with a horse or donkey. The bridge has diagonal cross railings and incorporates a tall structure over its southern half.The building next to it is the Keilor Tollhouse. The bridge, which is on the road to the diggings at Castlemaine and Bendigo was built over the Maribyrnong River in 1854. It replaced a ferry that had taken the place of a log bridge swept away by floods in 1851.The scene also depicts dogs, cattle, a carriage with horses and a tent encampment. In 1852 Keilor was described as a pretty little village with a good inn, several nice cottages and a store or two.
dc.format.extent52608646 bytes
dc.format.mediumHand coloured engraving
dc.format.medium17.5cm x 25.5cm (plate)
dc.format.medium11.5cm x 17.5cm (image)
dc.format.mimetypeimage/tiff
dc.language.isoen_AU
dc.publisherVictoria illustrated, published by Sands & Kenny, Melbourne & Sydney, 1857
dc.relation.ispartofNoel Butlin Archives Centre. ANU Archives Program.
dc.relation.ispartofGoldsbrough Mort & Company Ltd
dc.relation.ispartofseriesSet of 22 images by S.T.Gill engraved as plates for the book, Victoria illustrated., published by Sands & Kenny, 1857
dc.rightsThis image is provided for research purposes only and must not be reproduced without the prior permission of the Archives Program, Australian National University.
dc.subject.otherEngravings
dc.subject.otherwatercolours
dc.subject.otherbridges
dc.subject.othertollhouses
dc.subject.otherswagmen
dc.subject.otherdogs
dc.subject.othercattle
dc.subject.othertents
dc.subject.othertown buildings
dc.subject.otherclothing
dc.titleView of the township of Keilor from south side of bridge, Victoria
dc.typeImage
local.description.notesEngraved below image l.l.: S.T. Gill, del.
local.description.notesengraved below image l.r.: J. Tingle, sc.
local.description.notesTitle engraved below image: Township of Keilor from South side of Bridge.
local.description.notesengraved below title: Published by Sands & Kenny, Melbourne & Sydney 1857
local.description.notesThe plates from Victoria illustrated/ S.T. Gill. were acquired by Goldsbrough Mort & Company Ltd., and subsequently the company arranged to have the engravings coloured by hand.
CollectionsElder Smith and Company

Download

File Description SizeFormat Image
002-882-01.tif51.38 MBTIFFThumbnail


Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

Updated:  19 May 2020/ Responsible Officer:  University Librarian/ Page Contact:  Library Systems & Web Coordinator