View of the township of Keilor from south side of bridge, Victoria
|Collections||Elder Smith and Company|
View of travellers on a road leading to a bridge, with the village of Keilor in the distance. The foreground figures include a man carrying swags on both his back and front and two men with a horse or donkey. The bridge has diagonal cross railings and incorporates a tall structure over its southern half.The building next to it is the Keilor Tollhouse. The bridge, which is on the road to the diggings at Castlemaine and Bendigo was built over the Maribyrnong River in 1854. It replaced a ferry that had taken the place of a log bridge swept away by floods in 1851.The scene also depicts dogs, cattle, a carriage with horses and a tent encampment. In 1852 Keilor was described as a pretty little village with a good inn, several nice cottages and a store or two.
Maribyrnong River, Victoria
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.