Skip navigation
Skip navigation

Newcastle beach

This image is provided for research purposes only and must not be reproduced without the prior permission of the Archives Program, Australian National University.

Download (89.13 MB)

CollectionsAdelaide Steamship Company Limited: Harold Cazneaux
Title: Newcastle beach
Author(s): Cazneaux, Harold (Pierce), 1878-1953
Publisher: Abermain & Seaham Coals; Sydney: Abermain Seaham Collieries, 1925 (Sydney: Pratten Bros.) This image differs from that on page 59 by being more closely cropped.
Series/Report no.: Album of eight photographs of Abermain and Seaham Collieries, Hunter River, and Newcastle wharves, beach and harbour taken by Harold Pierce Cazneaux, 1925.
North facing view of cliffs, beaches, esplanades, beachside buildings and structures. The breakwater in Newcastle Harbour and Nobbys Head on the left of and behind Fort Scratchley are visible in the background. In the middle distance, Memorial Drive runs between the beach and city buildings. Newcastle's significance for the collieries was as port of shipment for coal from the northern New South Wales coalfields. Cazneaux printed this image from a photograph he took for one of the many projects assigned to him by the art firm of (Ure) Smith and (Harry) Julius. He and artist, Albert Collins (died 1951) created the illustrations for a souvenir volume for Abermain Seaham Collierie. This image differs from that on page 59 by being more closely cropped. Cropping was one of the techniques used by Pictorialist photographers like Cazneaux to create compositions that resembled artworks made in more traditional media. The print is in the Adelaide Steamship Company's collection because in 1905 the company acquired large interests in the Abermain Colliery (near Cessnock), the Seaham Colliery (near Newcastle) and the North Bulli Mine (near Wollongong) in order to secure its source of bunkering coal - a move that was to prove advantageous when the price of British steamering coal rose dramatically in 1908. The interests of the Abermain and Seaham collieries merged in 1922 and in 1931 a further merger created J. & A. Brown & Abermain Seaham. The Adelaide Steamship Company remained the mining company's largest shareholder.


File Description SizeFormat Image
N046-114-08.tif89.13 MBTIFFThumbnail

Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

Updated:  19 May 2020/ Responsible Officer:  University Librarian/ Page Contact:  Library Systems & Web Coordinator