Abermain No.1 Colliery, New South Wales
|Collections||Adelaide Steamship Company Limited|
Several eucalypts frame a view of colliery buildings, steam and a chimney emitting smoke. The buildings are painted white and one has a low large verandah roof and a pergola. Near the pergola is a wheel, ramp and cables. This colliery was opened in 1903 and was one of three that mined volatile low-ash Maitland coal from the Greta seam, discovered in 1886. Cazneaux printed this image from a photograph he took for one of the many projects assigned to him by the art firm of (Ure) Smith and (Harry) Julius. He and artist, Albert Collins (died 1951) created the illustrations for a souvenir volume for Abermain Seaham Collieries. In the book the picture's title is:Another view of Abermain No.1 Colliery.The Archives image differs from that on page 25 by being more closely cropped. Cropping was one of the techniques used by Pictorialist photographers like Cazneaux to create compositions that resembled artworks made in more traditional media. The print is in the Adelaide Steamship Company's collection because in 1905 the company acquired large interests in the Abermain Colliery (near Cessnock), the Seaham Colliery (near Newcastle) and the North Bulli Mine (near Wollongong) in order to secure its source of bunkering coal - a move that was to prove advantageous when the price of British steamering coal rose dramatically in 1908. The interests of the Abermain and Seaham collieries merged in 1922 and in 1931 a further merger created J. & A. Brown & Abermain Seaham. The Adelaide Steamship Company remained the mining company's largest shareholder.
|Location:||Abermain, New South Wales|
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.