Skip navigation
Skip navigation

Research material for 50th anniversary history of University House : [2]

Search Research material for 50th anniversary history of University House
Browse Research material for 50th anniversary history of University House
Browse by:

University House was originally designed as a residence and meeting place for postgraduate students and staff in the style of Oxford and Cambridge colleges.

A University statute provides for the appointment of a Master, traditionally an academic, by the Vice-Chancellor of the University and a Governing Body, now known as the Board of Fellows.

For its first decade, residence at the House was compulsory for unmarried doctoral students, and the tariff included all meals with formal dinners held each evening.

In recent years its role has primarily changed to provide short-term accommodation for visiting scholars and staff and a venue for conferences and events.

The University House building was the first purpose-built building on the University site, opened by Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, on 16 February 1954. It was designed by architect Professor Brian Lewis and its furniture was designed by Frederick Ward. It houses a number of important artworks including paintings, tapestries, sculptures, antiquities and a Leonard French mural.

From 1987, the ANU Staff Centre, located in Old Canberra House, was operated as an extension of University House with a bar, restaurant and function venue, but in the 1990s a number of areas were leased for external commercial operations and were then used for accommodating academic centres.

Since 2003, Graduate House which adjoins University House has also been administered by the Master of University House.

Collection's Items (Sorted by Submit Date in Descending order): 1 to 2 of 2
ANUA235-5-1.JPG.jpg

Lady Joy Wilson plants a Japanese maple, gift of the Ladies Drawing Room to University House in its Jubilee Year

Author(s)Photographer: not known
TypeImage
Date Published-
Date Created2004

Updated:  19 May 2020/ Responsible Officer:  University Librarian/ Page Contact:  Library Systems & Web Coordinator