Bridge to the Cotter Trout Hatchery, Australian Capital Territory
|Title:||Bridge to the Cotter Trout Hatchery, Australian Capital Territory|
|Author(s):||Commonwealth Department of Information|
|Series/Report no.:||Photograph album comprising 41 images of Canberra from the period January 1945 to March 1950, ANUA 13|
Four girls at the near end of a narrow wooden bridge over a stream running through bushland. One of the girls is adjusting her shoe while two others examine something that one child holds in her hands. The children all have ribbons in their hair and wear dresses. The bridge has a white painted railing on only one side. The large trees near the water are she oaks (casuarinas) while the pale tree trunks further away are probably those of eucalypts. The Cotter Trout Hatchery is to the right on the far side of the footbridge opposite the picnic area. It was a government -run hatchery that existed from the 1930s until 1979, when it was demolished. After Lake Burley Griffin was constructed in 1964, trout from the hatchery were used to stock the lake.This photograph is from an album that was held at the London office of the Australian National University over the period 1949 to 1952. The album was used to inform prospective staff about Canberra. These images are part of the series produced by the Department of Information and kept at the National Archives of Australia in Canberra. National Archives holdings in this series have gaps and some images may be held only at the ANU Archives.
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.