The visual room at Ainslie Primary School, Braddon, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
|Title:||The visual room at Ainslie Primary School, Braddon, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory|
|Author(s):||Commonwealth Department of Information|
|Series/Report no.:||Photograph album comprising 41 images of Canberra from the period January 1945 to March 1950, ANUA 13|
Photograph of a classroom equipped for special use. The equipment includes a film projector, screen and blackout curtains as well as a radio and sheets of music.The room is lined with column heaters, is decorated with boldly patterned textiles and has both bench and chair seating. Ainslie Primary School was built in 1938 to a design by Charles Whitley, an architect employed by the Department of Works. It was the first primary school in Australia to have incorporated into its planning a library, lecture room and needlework room. This photograph is from an album that was held at the London office of the Australian National University over the period 1949 to 1952. The album was used to inform prospective staff about Canberra. These images are part of the series produced by the Department of Information and kept at the National Archives of Australia in Canberra. National Archives holdings in this series have gaps and some images may be held only at the ANU Archives.
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.