Children having a nap at the Nursery School, Acton, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
|Title:||Children having a nap at the Nursery School, Acton, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory|
|Author(s):||Commonwealth Department of Information|
|Series/Report no.:||Photograph album comprising 41 images of Canberra from the period January 1945 to March 1950, ANUA 13|
Photograph of a group of children lying on wooden fold-out beds arranged in rows. Each child lies on a couple of blankets. The room has timber floors and frosted glass-panelled doors. Around the walls are low shelves holding various objects including toys, books and a vase of flowers.The Nursery School building had originally been the isolation block of Canberra Community Hospital, but government funding enabled it to be refurbished along the lines of the Lady Gowrie Child Centres.This was Canberra's first nursery school and it was opened in 1944 by Lady Gowrie. The headmistress was Miss Hinsby. The building was in use as a nursery school until 1952 when it became a primary school.This photograph is from an album that was held at the London office of the Australian National University over the period 1949 to 1952. The album was used to inform prospective staff about Canberra. These images are part of the series produced by the Department of Information and kept at the National Archives of Australia in Canberra. National Archives holdings in this series have gaps and some images may be held only at the ANU Archives.
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.