Canberra Boys' Grammar School and oval, Red Hill, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
|Title:||Canberra Boys' Grammar School and oval, Red Hill, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory|
|Series/Report no.:||Photograph album comprising 41 images of Canberra from the period January 1945 to March 1950, ANUA 13|
View of school buildings seen from a sports oval edged by Lombardy poplars.The buildings include the Headmaster's residence on the left and next to it, the Administration centre. Canberra Grammar School is a boarding and day school for boys. It was established by the Anglican authorities in 1929 when the existing Monaro Grammar School was moved from Cooma. Architects, Burcham Clamp and Finch, designed the two-storey red brick complex in the Tudor Revival style with features such as gabled roofs, carved stone entrances and cloister-like colonnades. Individual buildings were completed at different stages, but until the 1960s mostly in a style consistent with the original Medieval appearance.This photograph is from an album that was held at the London office of the Australian National University over the period 1949 to 1952. The album was used to inform prospective staff about Canberra. These images are part of the series produced by the Department of Information and kept at the National Archives of Australia in Canberra. National Archives holdings in this series have gaps and some images may be held only at the ANU Archives.
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.