Canberra Girls' Grammar School, Deakin, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
|Title:||Canberra Girls' Grammar School, Deakin, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory|
|Author(s):||Commonwealth Department of Information|
|Series/Report no.:||Photograph album comprising 41 images of Canberra from the period January 1945 to March 1950, ANUA 13|
Photograph of a gravel driveway that leads through well-treed gardens to a Tudor Revival style building. The school, which was originally known as St Gabriel's Church of England Grammar School, is a half-timbered brick structure with a tile roof and dormer and bay windows. It was built in 1927 to a design by architects L.H. Rudd and D. E. Limberg. Girls in school uniform can be glimpsed in the shade cast by trees and on a bench on the left.The garden planting includes eucalyptus trees, cypresses and oleanders.This photograph is from an album that was held at the London office of the Australian National University over the period 1949 to 1952. The album was used to inform prospective staff about Canberra. These images are part of the series produced by the Department of Information and kept at the National Archives of Australia in Canberra. National Archives holdings in this series have gaps and some images may be held only at the ANU Archives.