Skip navigation
Skip navigation

Boys and girls change places at Canberra High School, Acton, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory

This image is provided for research purposes only and must not be reproduced without the prior permission of the Archives Program, Australian National University.

Download (4.76 MB)


dc.contributor.otherCommonwealth Department of Information
dc.coverage.spatialBaldessin Crescent, Acton, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
dc.date.accessioned2004-02-25T22:42:48Z
dc.date.accessioned2011-01-06T04:03:49Z
dc.date.available2004-02-25T22:42:48Z
dc.date.available2011-01-06T04:03:49Z
dc.date.created1945-1950
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1885/323
dc.identifier.urihttp://digitalcollections.anu.edu.au/handle/1885/323
dc.description.abstractPhotograph of a teacher demonstrating the use of planes to eight girls in a woodwork classroom. The group stand around a workbench to which is attached a vice. Along the walls are shelves and boards from which hang various tools. The teacher, who has a short, back and sides haircut, wears a protective coat while the girls' school tunics are protected by aprons. Canberra High School, designed by Charles Whitley, opened in 1939 and was regarded as one of the most modern high schools in Australia. Over 300 students attended at the time the picture was taken. In the 1960s the school vacated the Acton site and occupied a new building in Macquarie. Over a number of years the old premises came to be used as an art school. In 1992 the Canberra Institute of the Arts, as it was now called, amalgamated with the Australian National University.This photograph is from an album that was held at the London office of the ANU over the period 1949 to 1952. The album was used to inform prospective staff about Canberra. These images are part of the series produced by the Department of Information and kept at the National Archives of Australia in Canberra. National Archives holdings in this series have gaps and some images may be held only at the ANU Archives.
dc.format.extent4873476 bytes
dc.format.extent8.8cm x 10.9cm
dc.format.mediumphotograph
dc.format.mediumb&w
dc.format.mimetypeimage/tiff
dc.language.isoen_AU
dc.relation.ispartofAustralian National University promotional album
dc.relation.ispartofseriesPhotograph album comprising 41 images of Canberra from the period January 1945 to March 1950, ANUA 13
dc.rightsThis image is provided for research purposes only and must not be reproduced without the prior permission of the Archives Program, Australian National University.
dc.subject.otherhigh schools
dc.subject.othercarpentry
dc.subject.otherArchitect: Whitley, Charles
dc.subject.otherCanberra High School
dc.titleBoys and girls change places at Canberra High School, Acton, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
local.description.notesNational Archives of Australia Number: L10452. Not listed on NAA RecordSearch database
local.description.notesStamped on verso: AUSTRALIAN/OFFICIAL/PHOTOGRAPH/ DEPT. OF INFORMATION
local.description.notesInscribed in pencil on verso: 4
local.description.notesTyped on caption above image: Boys and girls change places.
dc.date.issued2004-02-25T22:42:48Z
local.citationANUA13-B1-17-04
CollectionsCanberra Album

Download

File Description SizeFormat Image
01-15-B1-17-04.tif4.76 MBTIFFThumbnail


Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

Updated:  19 May 2020/ Responsible Officer:  University Librarian/ Page Contact:  Library Systems & Web Coordinator