The Entomology section of the Australian Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, Acton, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
|Title:||The Entomology section of the Australian Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, Acton, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory|
|Series/Report no.:||Photograph album comprising 41 images of Canberra from the period January 1945 to March 1950, ANUA 13|
View of the Entomology and Administration buildings of the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) branch in Canberra. The buildings are distinguished by their symmetrical facades and vertical bays of windows. Architecturally, they are examples of the Inter-War Stripped Classical style, with some elements of Art Deco. The latter is seen in the molded insect plaques inserted under the streamlined relief at the base of the roof line. The landscape setting comprises lawn, paths and evergreen shrubs planted at regular intervals. The Division of Economic Entomology was one of the earliest Council for Scientific and Industrial Research Divisions created. It was established in April 1928 with Dr Robin Tillyard as its first Chief. This photograph is from an album that was held at the London office of the Australian National University over the period 1949 to 1952. The album was used to inform prospective staff about Canberra. These images are part of the series produced by the Department of Information and kept at the National Archives of Australia in Canberra. National Archives holdings in this series have gaps and some images may be held only at the ANU Archives.
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.