St John's Church of England, Reid, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
|Title:||St John's Church of England, Reid, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory|
|Series/Report no.:||Photograph album comprising 41 images of Canberra from the period January 1945 to March 1950, ANUA 13|
View of St John's Church seen from the back, and graveyard. Constructed out of bluestone from Mount Pleasant and sandstone from Black Mountain and with a shingle roof, this early Canberra church was completed in 1845. St John's is in the Gothic Revival style, as seen in the spire and the tracery structure of the stained-glass window in the rear wall. Among the headstones is one carved with a cross in a circle above two diagonals and an inscription that includes; In Loving memory/OF/WILLIAM YOUNG. This photograph is from an album that was held at the London office of the Australian National University over the period 1949 to 1952. The album was used to inform prospective staff about Canberra. These images are part of the series produced by the Department of Information and kept at the National Archives of Australia in Canberra. National Archives holdings in this series have gaps and some images may be held only at the ANU Archives.