Skip navigation
Skip navigation

Australian Agricultural Company Limited : [205]

Search Australian Agricultural Company Limited
Browse Australian Agricultural Company Limited
Browse by:

The Australian Agricultural Company (AACo or The Company) was formed in London in April 1824 for the purpose of raising fine-woolled sheep and selling wool on the London market.

The Company’s initial land grant was one million acres in New South Wales plus two thousand acres in Newcastle. After some uncertainty the land, in the colony, was in three blocks: 464,640 acres between Port Stephens and the Manning River (Port Stephens Estate), 249,600 acres on the Liverpool Plains west of Willow Tree (Warrah) and 313,298 acres at the Peel River south of Tamworth (Goonoo Goonoo).

The AACo operated in four major NSW locations during the nineteenth century – Port Stephens, Tamworth, Quirindi, and Newcastle – and later in Queensland and Northern Australia. Its interests expanded to include wool, wheat, cattle, coal and land sales.

Within a year of its formation the AACo also became involved in coal mining at Newcastle, taking over the government’s operations there. After protracted negotiations the Company’s first pit was opened in 1831.

The discovery of gold in New South Wales on the Company’s Peel Estate led to the formation of the Peel River Land and Mineral Company in 1854. Between 1825 and 1862 the AACo, with the Peel River Land and Mineral Company, brought from Europe to New South Wales over 700 men to work either at the colliery in Newcastle or on the extensive pastoral estates at Port Stephens, Tamworth and the Liverpool Plains. The new arrivals were managers, skilled mechanics, shepherds, miners and labourers. The first group of employees was managed by the Company’s first Agent, Robert Dawson (Agent, 1824-1828). Dawson’s successors included Sir Edward Parry (Commissioner, 1830-1834); Henry Dumaresq (Commissioner, 1834-1838); Phillip Parker King (Commissioner, 1839-1849); followed by several General Superintendents with Jesse Gregson, the Company’s longest serving General Superintendent from 1875-1905.

In 1864 the AACo began the development of the Warrah Estate for sheep breeding, investing extensively in wells, bores and fencing. The AACo purchased Corona (near Longreach) in 1912; Bladensburg (near Winton) and Highfields (between Corona and Bladensburg) in 1915; Headingly (Urandangie) in 1916; before moving into the Northern Territory with the purchased of Avon Downs (Barkly Tablelands) in 1921. From the 1930s gradually phasing out sheep the AACo became increasingly involved in beef cattle, developing the Santa Gertrudis stud at Goonoo Goonoo and purchasing Rockhampton Downs (Barkley Tablelands NT) in 1948, Wrotham Park (near Chillagoe, Q) in 1963, Brunette Downs (north of Tennant Creek) in 1979.

In 1975 the London-based directors resigned and the Company’s tax domicile was transferred from London to Tamworth and then to Brisbane in 1985 following the sale of Goonoo Goonoo.

From 1976 the Company’s name was listed on the Australian Stock Exchange as the Australian Agricultural Company Limited. In 1995 Elders Ltd acquired the AACo and it was delisted from the Australian Stock Exchange. The Company became a wholly owned subsidiary of Futuris Corporation Limited after Futuris took over Elders in 1997. The Company was re-listed in 2001.

Collection's Items (Sorted by Submit Date in Descending order): 1 to 20 of 205
NBAC78-1-6_Map_Stitched.tif.jpg

Map of portion of Port Stephens Estate bounded by Manning and Wiliams rivers

Author(s)Surveyor: Armstrong, John
TypeImage
Date Published-
Date Created1828
NBAC78-1-6.tif.jpg

Report from Mr Armstrong respecting a portion of the Company's Grant

Author(s)-
TypeImage
Date Published-
Date Created28 May 1828
1-444.tif.jpg

Headingly Station rainfall returns

Author(s)Australian Agricultural Company Limited (AACo) (1824- )
TypeImage
Date Published-
Date Created1916
D101.tif.jpg

Carrington (part), Lot 691

Author(s)Australian Agricultural Company Limited (AACo) (1824- )
TypeText
Date Published-
Date Createdno date
1-453-1-x377.tif.jpg

Newcastle Estate - Section H

Author(s)Australian Agricultural Company Limited (AACo) (1824- )
TypeText
Date Published-
Date Createdno date
131-15-201-x909.tif.jpg

Newcastle Estate - Sections F H and Q

Author(s)Australian Agricultural Company Limited (AACo) (1824- )
TypeText
Date Published-
Date Created22 Apr 1915
131-15-201-x910.tif.jpg

Newcastle Estate - Section H

Author(s)Australian Agricultural Company Limited (AACo) (1824- )
TypeText
Date Published-
Date Created30 Jun 1915

Newcastle Estate - Section H

Author(s)Australian Agricultural Company Limited (AACo) (1824- )
TypeText
Date Published-
Date Created23 May 2014
B51.tif.jpg

Vineyard Lots on Bulga Creek

Author(s)Drawn by: Darby, George Eld (1807-1867), AACo Surveyor, 1840-1857
TypeText
Date Published-
Date Created1852
C28.tif.jpg

The North Arm

Author(s)Australian Agricultural Company Limited (AACo) (1824- )
TypeText
Date Published-
Date Createdno date
1-144-4-x265.tif.jpg

Australian Agricultural Company's Estate

Author(s)Australian Agricultural Company Limited (AACo) (1824- )
TypeText
Date Published-
Date Created1880
1-134-LA-E148 X772.tif.jpg

Australian Agricultural Estate, Parish of Mt George

Author(s)-
TypeText
Date Published-
Date Created1889
78-1-1 f157 x49.tif.jpg

Port Stephens Estate

Author(s)-
TypeText
Date Published-
Date Created1826
D16.tif.jpg

Denison, Port Stephens, County of Gloucester

Author(s)-
TypeText
Date Published-
Date CreatedAug 1856
D15.tif.jpg

North Arm, Port Stephens

Author(s)-
TypeText
Date Published-
Date Created1828
131-15-207 alt. no X1015.tif.jpg

Newcastle Estate – Sections F, H and Q

Author(s)-
TypeImage
Date Published-
Date CreatedMar 1916
131-15-207 alt. no. X1016.tif.jpg

Newcastle Estate – Sections F, H and Q

Author(s)-
TypeImage
Date Published-
Date CreatedApr 1916
131-15-213 alt. no. X1085.tif.jpg

Newcastle Estate – Section H

Author(s)-
TypeImage
Date Published-
Date CreatedFeb 1928
B181.pdf.jpg

Port Stephens Coastal Survey

Author(s)Surveyor: Captain PP King RN
TypeText
Date Published-
Date Created1845

Updated:  19 May 2020/ Responsible Officer:  University Librarian/ Page Contact:  Library Systems & Web Coordinator