The corner of Melbourne Avenue and Empire Circuit, Forrest, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
|Title:||The corner of Melbourne Avenue and Empire Circuit, Forrest, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory|
|Author(s):||Commonwealth Department of Information|
|Series/Report no.:||Photograph album comprising 41 images of Canberra from the period January 1945 to March 1950, ANUA 13|
View of a tree-lined residential street looking north east from Red Hill towards Capital Hill, where New Parliament House was later built. The street planting includes eucalyptus mannifera maculosa on the nature strip and eucalyptus melliodora on the open area between the two sides of the avenue. Garden trees and a house are visible behind the uniform height hedges bordering the footpaths. There is a wooden bus shelter behind a tree on the left and a car can be seen in the distance. This photograph is from an album that was held at the London office of the Australian National University over the period 1949 to 1952. The album was used to inform prospective staff about Canberra. These images are part of the series produced by the Department of Information and kept at the National Archives of Australia in Canberra. National Archives holdings in this series have gaps and some images may be held only at the ANU Archives.
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.