Old Parliament House, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
|Title:||Old Parliament House, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory|
|Author(s):||Photographer: Australian News and Information Bureau, Department of the Interior, Canberra|
|Series/Report no.:||Photograph album comprising 41 images of Canberra from the period January 1945 to March 1950|
View of the front façade of Old Parliament House seen from a rose bed on the other side of King George Terrace. The setting includes flowering trees and large conifers. Three cars are parked in front of the building and two flags fly from flagpoles. One is the Australian flag and the other is white with dark shapes at the corners.The temporary Parliament House was designed by John Murdoch and officially opened by the Duke and Duchess of York on 9 May 1927.This photograph is from an album that was held at the London office of the Australian National University over the period 1949 to 1952. The album was used to inform prospective staff about Canberra. These images are part of the series produced by the Department of Information and kept at the National Archives of Australia in Canberra. National Archives holdings in this series have gaps and some images may be held only at the ANU Archives.