Public bar in the Bondi Junction Hotel, 512-4 Oxford Street, Bondi Junction, Sydney
|Collections||Tooth & Company Limited|
|Date created:||After 1942|
View of a curved island linoleum-topped bar faced with bands of different coloured tiles which also decorate the walls.The split level floor is laid with small square tiles and a series of pillars are covered with thin glossy rectangular tiles. Additional pillars cased in mirror strips form junctions between the inner counter and the ceiling beams which are decorated in relief with a geometric design based on semi-circles. Other details include fountain lights, benches along the right wall and chrome edgings and step rails.The Bondi Junction Hotel was built by Tooth & Company Limited after the license was transferred from the Queens Hotel, Woollahra in December 1941. On completion in 1942 the hotel was a three storeyed brick structure with a fully tiled ground floor exterior and a tile and concrete roof. The architectural style is known as P. & O. Ship Style because of its similarities to ocean liner forms.
|Location:||512-4 Oxford Street, Bondi Junction, Sydney|
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.