Lounge in the Hyde park Hotel, corner of Elizabeth and Bathurst Streets, Sydney
|Collections||Tooth & Company Limited|
|Date created:||July 1941|
View of many small round glass-topped tables and padded and studded bucket chairs. They are gathered on a circle and strip of carpet patterned with interlacing rings and leaves, set in a linoleum or timber floor. The room has veneer panelling on the curved walls, decorative timber trims and streamlined cornices. The room's windows have pelmets, damasque curtains and venetian blinds, and it is lit by concentric cylindrical lights and bowl shaped wall lamps. The timber furniture, including a couch, is characterised by fluted detail and a pale finish. On each table there is an ashtray, and potted bonsai plants decorate two window sills. The Hyde Park Hotel was purchased by Tooth & Company in May 1911and sold in April 1983. In April 1940, the name was changed from the Royal Hyde Park Hotel to the Hyde Park Hotel. On completion of rebuilding in July 1941 the hotel was a four storeyed brick structure with a fully tiled ground floor exterior and a flat concreted roof. The architectural style is known as P. & O. Ship Style because of its similarities to ocean liner forms.
|Location:||Elizabeth Street, Sydney|
Bathurst Street, Sydney
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.