Skip navigation
Skip navigation

Public bar in the Hyde park Hotel, corner of Elizabeth and Bathurst Streets, Sydney

This image is provided for research purposes only and must not be reproduced without the prior permission of the Archives Program, Australian National University.

Download (26.58 MB)


dc.coverage.spatialElizabeth Street, Sydney
dc.coverage.spatialBathurst Street, Sydney
dc.date.accessioned2004-02-25T22:33:39Z
dc.date.accessioned2011-01-05T12:42:54Z
dc.date.available2004-02-25T22:33:39Z
dc.date.available2011-01-05T12:42:54Z
dc.date.createdJuly 1941
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1885/272
dc.identifier.urihttp://digitalcollections.anu.edu.au/handle/1885/272
dc.description.abstractView of an ovoid linoleum-topped bar edged with a chromed rail and faced with marbled tiles.The room has a linoleum and tile floor, rectangular tiles on the wall and streamlined ovoid cornices. There are spherical lights hanging from the ceiling and along the top of the bottle shelves. On the bar is a number of flower vases and curved glass screen near the cash register. On the walls there is an advertisement for Grandad's Whisky, two notices announcing an Art Union, and Tooth's K.B. Lager is written at the top of a blackboard. There is also both a sign with Toilet and an arrow printed on it on a door, and Comfort Station Gents and a pointing finger written on the wall next to the door. The Hyde Park Hotel was purchased by Tooth & Company in May 1911and sold in April 1983. In April 1940, the name was changed from the Royal Hyde Park Hotel to the Hyde Park Hotel. On completion of rebuilding in July 1941 the hotel was a four storeyed brick structure with a fully tiled ground floor exterior and a flat concreted roof. The architectural style is known as P. & O. Ship Style because of its similarities to ocean liner forms.
dc.format.extent27219644 bytes
dc.format.mediumBlack and white photograph
dc.format.medium19cm x 24.5cm
dc.format.mimetypeimage/tiff
dc.language.isoen_AU
dc.relation.ispartofTooth & Company Limited
dc.relation.ispartofNoel Butlin Archives Centre. ANU Archives Program.
dc.relation.ispartofseriesPhotograph album comprising 81 folios of interior photographs of city and country hotels in New South Wales, taken during the 1930s and 1940s.
dc.rightsThis image is provided for research purposes only and must not be reproduced without the prior permission of the Archives Program, Australian National University.
dc.subject.otherHotel bars
dc.subject.otherhotels & taverns
dc.subject.otherinterior design
dc.subject.otherinteriors (buildings)
dc.subject.otherbreweries
dc.subject.otherleisure
dc.subject.otherbottles
dc.subject.othertiles
dc.subject.otherlinoleum
dc.subject.otherlights
dc.subject.othercash registers
dc.subject.otheradvertisements
dc.subject.otherwhisky
dc.subject.othervases
dc.subject.otherflower arrangements
dc.subject.otherchromium plating
dc.subject.otherCurran, C, licensee when photograph was taken
dc.subject.otherJ.G. Dalziel , architect
dc.subject.otherMax Cooper & Sons Pty. Ltd., builders
dc.titlePublic bar in the Hyde park Hotel, corner of Elizabeth and Bathurst Streets, Sydney
dc.typeImage
local.description.notesOther records relating to this hotel are available at the Archives.
local.citationZ223-144-53
CollectionsTooth & Company Limited

Download

File Description SizeFormat Image
Z223-144-53.tif26.58 MBTIFFThumbnail


Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

Updated:  19 May 2020/ Responsible Officer:  University Librarian/ Page Contact:  Library Systems & Web Coordinator