The company was founded by merchant squatter, Isaac Younghusband, originally as Younghusband & Co Ltd and was registered in Victoria on 1 May 1889. The business was engaged in woolbroking and as stock and station agents. In 1897 it became a proprietary company under the name of Younghusband & Co Pty Ltd. Another change in name occurred in 1902 when the company took over the woolbrokers R Goldsbrough Row & Co Pty Ltd and became known as Younghusband Row & Co Pty Ltd. In 1920 the company became known as Younghusband Limited. In September 1971 the company was taken over by Elder Smith Goldsbrough Mort Ltd.