Public bar in the Hyde park Hotel, corner of Elizabeth and Bathurst Streets, Sydney
|Collections||Tooth & Company Limited|
|Date created:||July 1941|
View of an ovoid linoleum-topped bar edged with a chromed rail and faced with marbled tiles.The room has a linoleum and tile floor, rectangular tiles on the wall and streamlined ovoid cornices. There are spherical lights hanging from the ceiling and along the top of the bottle shelves. On the bar is a number of flower vases and curved glass screen near the cash register. On the walls there is an advertisement for Grandad's Whisky, two notices announcing an Art Union, and Tooth's K.B. Lager is written at the top of a blackboard. There is also both a sign with Toilet and an arrow printed on it on a door, and Comfort Station Gents and a pointing finger written on the wall next to the door. The Hyde Park Hotel was purchased by Tooth & Company in May 1911and sold in April 1983. In April 1940, the name was changed from the Royal Hyde Park Hotel to the Hyde Park Hotel. On completion of rebuilding in July 1941 the hotel was a four storeyed brick structure with a fully tiled ground floor exterior and a flat concreted roof. The architectural style is known as P. & O. Ship Style because of its similarities to ocean liner forms.
|Location:||Elizabeth Street, Sydney|
Bathurst Street, Sydney