Saloon bar in the Cambridge Hotel, corner of Hunter and Wood Streets, Hamilton, New South Wales
|Collections||Tooth & Company Limited|
|Date created:||Between February 1940 and May 1941|
View of curved linoleum-topped bar faced with veneer in a room where veneer has also been used on wall panels and shelf trim. The room has a linoleum floor, decorative cornices and is lit by hexagon shaped lights that hang from the ceiling. There is a cash register on the counter, a wall clock and a picture hanging on the wall.The Cambridge Hotel was purchased by J.G. Cameron and owned by Cameron Investments Pty. Ltd.. According to the terms by which Tooth & Company leased the Family Hotel in Newcastle to Cameron Investments, the Cambridge was tied to buy Tooth beer until March 1960, when the hotel was sold. On completion of rebuilding, which occurred between February 1940 and May 1941, exterior photographs indicate that the hotel was a two storeyed brick structure with a fully tiled ground floor exterior. The architectural style is known as P. & O. Ship Style because of its similarities to ocean liner forms.
|Location:||Hunter Street, Hamilton, Newcastle, New South Wales|
Wood Street, Hamilton, Newcastle, New South Wales
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.