Federated Furnishing Trades Society of Australasia
Known originally as the Federated Furnishing Trade Societies of Australasia from 1909, when it was formed, by 1914 the name had been changed slightly to the Federated Furnishing Trade Society of Australasia. The Society's Federal Office was based in Melbourne with branches in Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, and the ACT. The union covered cabinet makers, French polishers, upholsterers, mattress makers, piano makers, carpet layers, furnishing drapery, wicker workers, and in Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania wood machinists and workers in the flat glass trade as well as automotive glass, baby carriages, coffins, musical instrument makers and organ makers. Operating until 1993, the Society eventually amalgamated with the Federated Brick Tile & Pottery Industrial Union of Australia and the Operative Painters' & Decorators' Union of Australia into the Construction Forestry Mining & Energy Union.