Public bar in the Volunteer Hotel, corner of High and Hunter Streets, West Maitland
|Collections||Tooth & Company Limited|
|Date created:||October 1940|
A barmaid stands behind a curved tile-faced linoleum-topped bar. In the background are two customers and some advertisements, including one for Sheaf Stout. The room features a veneer wall and trim behind the bar, partially tiled walls and a tile patterned floor with a crazy paving design in linoleum at the base of the counter. There are also fans and lights hanging from the ceiling. The Volunteer Hotel was purchased by Tooth & Company in April 1903. On completion of rebuilding in October 1940 the hotel was a two storeyed brick structure with a fully tiled ground floor exterior wall and an iron roof. The architectural style is known as P. & O. Ship Style because of its similarities to ocean liner forms.
|Location:||High Street, Maitland, New South Wales|
Hunter Street, Maitland, New South Wales
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.