Public bar in the Exchange Hotel, High Street, West Maitland
|Collections||Tooth & Company Limited|
|Date created:||August 1941|
Two barmaids are seen behind a curved tile-faced linoleum-topped bar embellished with a row of relief tiles. The room features partially tiled walls, a linoleum floor and decorative plaster mouldings, and has lights hanging from the ceiling. The Exchange Hotel was purchased by Tooth & Company in March 1921 and was probably sold in 1983 (the Company record is partly illegible). On completion of rebuilding in August 1941 the hotel was a two storeyed brick structure with a fully tiled ground floor exterior wall and an iron roof. The architectural style is known as P. & O. Ship Style because of its similarities to ocean liner forms.
|Location:||327 High Street, Maitland, New South Wales|