Public bar in the Currency Lass Hotel, High Street, West Maitland
|Collections||Tooth & Company Limited|
|Date created:||Nov 1940|
A barman can be seen in the opening behind a curved linoleum-topped counter. Both the bar and the walls are faced with tiles. The room features a tile floor, mirror-backed shelves with veneer trim, ceiling lights and fan, and chromed edgings. Other details include a number of advertisements including a Bonox poster, a mirror advertising Hardy's Tintara Wines and a framed poster reproduction of a pub painting by Tom Woodman promoting Resch's Long Bottle Pilsener. The Currency Lass Hotel was purchased by Tooth & Company in October 1900 and was sold in March 1982. On completion of rebuilding in November 1940 the hotel was a two storeyed brick structure with a fully tiled ground floor exterior wall and an iron roof. The architectural style is known as P. & O. Ship Style because of its similarities to ocean liner forms.
The Currency Lass West Maitland was run by the Bower family from 1921 until 1975. It was originally bought from Glen Denning. James Lawrence Bower (aka. Diamond Jim) is pictured in the doorway behind the bar. To the far left is the edge of a hand-crafted picture (one of the only two in existence) recording Les Darcy's fights. Les Darcy signed his fights at the back of the hotel. (From information supplied by Andrew Bower, 2014.)
|Location:||High Street, Maitland, New South Wales|