Public bar in the Civic Hotel, corner of Pitt and Goulburn Streets, Sydney
|Collections||Tooth & Company Limited|
|Date created:||September 1940|
View of linoleum-topped curved bar faced with tiles, as are the walls. The floor is linoleum set into tiles.The room features streamlined cornices, mirror tiled shelving units and chromed edgings and fixtures. Lights are bowl shaped and fans hang from the ceiling. Other details include a radio, a telephone, a wall clock and vases of flowers. The site for the Civic Hotel was purchased by Tooth & Company in 1937. The license was acquired in September 1940 when it was transferred from the City Railway Hotel on Castlereagh Street. The Civic was sold in August 1982. On completion of rebuilding in September 1940 the hotel was a three storeyed brick stucture, with a flat concrete roof and a fully tiled ground floor exterior. The architectural style is known as P. & O. Ship Style because of its similarities to ocean liner forms.
|Location:||Pitt Street, Sydney|
Goulburn Street, Sydney
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.