Loco sheds, Harden, New South Wales
|Collections||National Union of Railwaymen of Australia|
|Date created:||January 1932|
Photograph of railway yard with tracks in the foreground, various buildings in the background and wagons loaded with coal on the left. Two of the buildings have many chimneys and contain engines within their large openings. The long, high structure on the right surmounted by metal trusses is the coal stage where coal is loaded onto wagons. A number of lofty power and light poles are evident and on the ground are point levers for changing track directions. One source of the dark smoke on the horizon is a tall pipe. From the 1880s, Harden was an important railway junction with its own loco depot. In its heyday, around 1926, the depot employed 272 men, including fitters, to marshall and dispatch 40 trains a day. Cottages, shops and barracks were built near the station to serve this workforce. The Harden repair workshops closed in 1967.
|Location:||Albury Street, Harden, New South Wales|
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.