Railway Station, Wellington Street, Perth, Western Australia
|Collections||Intercolonial Investment, Land & Building Company Limited|
|Date created:||Between 1898 and 1902|
View of Perth Railway Station and Wellington Street. The scene includes a number of men gathered around the arcades of the nearest building where large squarish wicker containers are stacked. The street contains a variety of horsedrawn vehicles. Some of these are four wheeled covered carriages, presumably designed to carry passengers, while other two wheeled carts appear to be used for delivering goods. The railway station was designed by Richard Roach Jewell and built in two stages. The first stage was completed in 1885, but between 1894 and 1898 the structure was considerably extended and remodelled. The complex consists of two two-storeyed wings with arcades that flank a central section with a veranda and a three storey entrance façade that incorporates a large clock. The construction features the brickwork typical of colonial Perth as well as Victorian classical relief decoration on the entablatures.
|Location:||Wellington Street, Perth, Western Australia|
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.