General Post Office, St Georges Terrace, Perth, Western Australia
|Collections||Intercolonial Investment, Land & Building Company Limited|
View looking along St Georges Terrace, of the Treasury Building that was used for a period as Perth's General Post Office. The scene includes several men standing near the entrance, bicycles, a weighing machine and tall white-painted posts through which wires are threaded. The building is constructed in the typical style of colonial Perth in decorated bricks and rendered facings. It has a high, steeply sloping roof with dormer windows, projecting pilasters and some Victorian classical ornament around the higher windows. The Treasury was built in two stages. The two storey Barrack Street frontage was designed by Richard Roach Jewell and completed in 1874. Around 1887 Chief Architect George Temple Pool designed the St Georges Terrace section and added a third storey to the earlier part of the complex.
|Location:||St Georges Terrace, Perth, Western Australia|
Barrack Street, Perth, Western Australia