Madura: Temple of Minakshi, South Gopuram
|Collections||Arthur Llewellyn Basham|
|Title:||Madura: Temple of Minakshi, South Gopuram|
Photographer: Basham, Arthur Llewellyn
|Series/Report no.:||Basham Collection|
|Description:||This temple is the biggest and most remarkable of the period. It is enclosed by a succession of walls, of which the outer ones form a rectangle 820 by 800'. It has 4 huge gopurams. Apart from the inner 2 sanctuaries of Minakshi and Sundaresvar, the whole temple is the work of Tirumala Nayaka, the former temple having been razed to the ground by Malik Kafur's expedition in 1310. Construction began in 1560, and took 120 years to complete. It reportedly contains 33 million carvings in stone and in stucco. The temple has 9 gopurams, of which the south one is the most remarkable.|
|Other Identifiers:||ANUA 682-1950|
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.