Skip navigation
Skip navigation

Pandya: Chidambaram, East Gopuram, Detail

This item is provided for research purposes. Contact the Australian National University Archives at butlin.archives@anu.edu.au for permission to use.

Download (15.17 MB)


CollectionsArthur Llewellyn Basham
Title: Pandya: Chidambaram, East Gopuram, Detail
Author(s): Frederic, Louis
Photographer: Arthur Llewellyn Basham
Keywords: Chola, Pandya, etc.;architecture;stone sculpture;book scan
Series/Report no.: Basham Collection
Description: This sculpture may represent two princely persons who completed the building of this gopuram. They have a surroundings [sic] of bas-reliefs of dancers demonstrating the 108 attitudes of the sacred dance. The temple of Chidambaram is in fact the place where Siva is believed to have invented the dance. The origin of the temple itself is very old. According to the chronicles the Pallava king, Simhavarman, repaired it and built additions. The kings of Vijayanagara completed the temple by adding the north gopuram at a later date. (Source: Frederic, L. Indian Temples & Sculpture, Thames & Hudson, London, 1959. Illus. 221. p.258.)
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/1885/176851
Other Identifiers: ANUA 682-1855

Download

File Description SizeFormat Image
ANUA_682_1855.tif15.17 MBTIFFThumbnail


Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

Updated:  19 May 2020/ Responsible Officer:  University Librarian/ Page Contact:  Library Systems & Web Coordinator