Skip navigation
Skip navigation

Pandya: Chidambaram, East Gopuram

This item is provided for research purposes. Contact the Australian National University Archives at butlin.archives@anu.edu.au for permission to use.

Download (16.33 MB)


CollectionsArthur Llewellyn Basham
Title: Pandya: Chidambaram, East Gopuram
Author(s): Frederic, Louis
Photographer: Basham, Arthur Llewellyn
Keywords: Chola, Pandya, etc.
architecture
book scan
Series/Report no.: Basham Collection
Description: This is the most typical gopuram of this period. It is 131' high, 88' wide at the base and 60' long. It was begun during the reign of the Chola king Kulottunga II, (1130?). The granite basement with its vertical walls has 3 storeys. The porch proper is surmounted by 7 brick storeys which are covered with niches and miniature buildings. The gopuram culminates in a vaulted roof which terminates at either end in a "peacock's tail". This motif is only found in Tamil country. The pillars seen in the foreground are for an awning on feast days. (Source: Frederic, L. Indian Temples & Sculpture, Thames & Hudson, London, 1959. Illus. 220, p. 257.)
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/1885/176850
Other Identifiers: ANUA 682-1854

Download

File Description SizeFormat Image
ANUA_682_1854.tif16.33 MBTIFFThumbnail


Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

Updated:  19 May 2020/ Responsible Officer:  University Librarian/ Page Contact:  Library Systems & Web Coordinator