Skip navigation
Skip navigation

Temple of Virupaksa

This item is provided for research purposes. Contact the Australian National University Archives at butlin.archives@anu.edu.au for permission to use.

Download (16.44 MB)


CollectionsArthur Llewellyn Basham
Title: Temple of Virupaksa
Author(s): Frederic, Louis
Photographer: Basham, Arthur Llewellyn
Keywords: Deccan-- Chalukya Dynasty-- Pattadakal
architecture
book scan
Series/Report no.: Basham Collection
Description: This temple shows both Dravidian & Indo-Aryan features. These features include a Dravidian tower, a wide mandapa, secondary mandapas with several entrances, and a gallery composed of series of small sanctuaries, abutting on the wall. This temple was built in 740 by Vikramaditya II to commemorate his third victory over the Pallavas and the capture of Kanchi. Architects brought from the south contributed to the construction. A statue of Nandi, Siva's bull is housed in a free-standing mandapa. The temple & buildings are surrounded by strong walls, and access is by a huge gate, reminiscent of that of the Pallava temples. Sculptures decorate walls and niches of the sanctuary. The antarala, now highly developed, has 20 pillars, while the separately standing mandapa has 4. The cella includes a circumambulatory.
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/1885/176567
Other Identifiers: ANUA 682-1572

Download

File Description SizeFormat Image
ANUA_682_1572.tif16.44 MBTIFFThumbnail


Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

Updated:  19 May 2020/ Responsible Officer:  University Librarian/ Page Contact:  Library Systems & Web Coordinator