Skip navigation
Skip navigation

Temple of Papanatha AD 680

This item is provided for research purposes. Contact the Australian National University Archives at butlin.archives@anu.edu.au for permission to use.

Download (16.64 MB)


CollectionsArthur Llewellyn Basham
Title: Temple of Papanatha AD 680
Author(s): Frederic, Louis
Photographer: Basham, Arthur Llewellyn
Keywords: Deccan-- Chalukya Dynasty-- Pattadakal
architecture
book scan
Series/Report no.: Basham Collection
Description: This temple marks a distinct advance on the temples in the Gupta style at Aihole. Shows a search for a new style, a better adaptation to requirements of Brahmanical rites. It is a long, low structure, 100' in length, with a mandapa which is larger in proportion to the cella and vestibule. The garba-griha is surmounted by a pyramid with a curvilinear line, called a sikhara. The cella has 3 projecting porches, decorated with massive pilasters. Interior pillars are decorated with carvings in high relief, showing scenes from the Ramayana. There are only 4 pillars in the vestibule, and 16 in the mandapa. The doorway has only 2. The outer walls have many niches containing sculptures of figures. This temple was originally consecrated to Surya, god of the sun, then later to Siva.
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/1885/176559
Other Identifiers: ANUA 682-1564

Download

File Description SizeFormat Image
ANUA_682_1564.tif16.64 MBTIFFThumbnail


Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

Updated:  19 May 2020/ Responsible Officer:  University Librarian/ Page Contact:  Library Systems & Web Coordinator