Ground plan of Siva temple
|Collections||Arthur Llewellyn Basham|
|Title:||Ground plan of Siva temple|
Photographer: Basham, Arthur Llewellyn
|Keywords:||Deccan-- Western Cave Temples-- Elephanta|
|Series/Report no.:||Basham Collection|
|Description:||The last great achievement of architectural sculpture in western India is the cave temple on the island of Elephanta in the harbour of Bombay, ruthlessly desecrated by the Portuguese in the 16th cent. A stone panel with a lengthy inscription also went then, so date can only be ascribed to post 8th or 9th cent. The temple proper is a pillared hall roughly 90 feet on a side with 6 rows of 6 columns 'supporting' the roof of the cave. [An] outgrowth of such earlier plans as Bhumara in which space was provided for an interior circumambulation of the shrine. But at Elephanta the main object of worship is attached to the back of the hall, and arrangement more like Ladh Khan temple, where the shrine occupies a similar position and pradaksina is impossible. As in many cave temples, the pillars show the greatest irregularity not only in alignment but in individual details of carving|
in many corners of the bases are not even true right angles [sic]. Such imperfections might be regarded as architectural accidents which add aliveness to the conception.
|Other Identifiers:||ANUA 682-1532|
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.