Ellora. Kailasnath [sic] Temple. West façade
|Collections||Arthur Llewellyn Basham|
|Title:||Ellora. Kailasnath [sic] Temple. West façade|
|Author(s):||Herbert E. Budek Films & Slides|
Photographer: Arthur Llewellyn Basham
|Keywords:||Deccan-- Western Cave Temples-- Ellora-- Kailasanatha Temple;architecture;slide set|
|Series/Report no.:||Basham Collection|
|Description:||Here we see the main shrine of Kailasnath, the Nandi shrine named for the bull which was the vehicle of the god Siva. It rests on a raised base the decorations of which are atypical for Indian architecture in its traditional forms. It is possible to see several of the elephants forming the supportive system of the base in our detail: these are not atypical features. What is atypical is hidden in the shadows of the shrine's base: here are reliefs in deeply cut style showing elephants and lions rearing and tearing at each other so that one gets the impression that the entire base is moving and trembling as if about to collapse. This earthquake sensation awes the beholder and impresses upon him the feeling of the sacred presence of the gods. Perhaps the most descriptive phrase one could use for the temple facade has been offered by H. Zimmer in regard to the sculptures decorating the surface|
they are literally phantasmagoric visions without weight. We can get this impression without forgetting that the temple itself is a solid structure and that the weight of its several tiers is easily borne. Two large porches project north and south on the shrine while just before the entrance on the west face is a screen partially concealing the main front porch there. Over the entrance proper is a subsidiary chaitya tower, visible at the far right of the slide.
|Other Identifiers:||ANUA 682-1431|
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.