Ellora. General view of cave-temple facades, seen from the Dherwara.
|Collections||Arthur Llewellyn Basham|
|Title:||Ellora. General view of cave-temple facades, seen from the Dherwara.|
|Author(s):||Photographer: Arthur Llewellyn Basham|
|Keywords:||Deccan-- Western Cave Temples-- Ellora;architecture;slide set|
|Series/Report no.:||Basham Collection|
|Description:||Ellora, located southwest of Ajanta in western India, has been the site for both Hindu and Buddhist constructions. The Buddhist caves date between the 5th to the 8th centuries A.D. as do the other structures of Hindu and Jainan origin. Buddhist imagery in the caves of Ellora is overshadowed by the Brahmanic cults' rich array of sculptural material. The worship of Siva in the form of the Siva and Parvati lingam is very strong in this area, and the monument dedicated to the god's worship, the Kailasantha rock-cut sanctuary, begun after several of the Buddhist temples had already been built, is overpowering in both size and amount of sculptural embellishment. Next to it, the Buddhist cave-temples seem austerely decorated.|
|Other Identifiers:||ANUA 682-1372|
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.