Skip navigation
Skip navigation

Brindavan. Govinda Deva Temple, 16th Century

This item is provided for research purposes. Contact the Australian National University Archives at butlin.archives@anu.edu.au for permission to use.

Download (16.74 MB)


CollectionsArthur Llewellyn Basham
Title: Brindavan. Govinda Deva Temple, 16th Century
Author(s): Frederic, Louis
Photographer: Arthur Llewellyn Basham
Keywords: Rajasthan-- Architecture;architecture;book scan
Series/Report no.: Basham Collection
Description: Erected by Man Singth of Jaipur, in 1590, and transformed into a mosque by Aurangzeb. Only the porch and cruciform mandapa remain today. It is rare in that the construction used the true vault, since the Indians knew only the corbelled or false vault. It measures about 112' by 102'. It is a two-storey building, surmounted by a terrace. The vault, resting on the four arms of the cross, is plain and undecorated and closely resembles a Gothic vault. The only other Indian temple which has this feature is a few miles away, and was built by king Bhagvandas of Amber during the reign of the Emperor Akbar. The latter used foreign artists, and one wonders whether this temple was in fact the work of an Indian Artist.
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/1885/176244
Other Identifiers: ANUA 682-1250

Download

File Description SizeFormat Image
ANUA_682_1250.tif16.74 MBTIFFThumbnail


Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

Updated:  19 May 2020/ Responsible Officer:  University Librarian/ Page Contact:  Library Systems & Web Coordinator