Skip navigation
Skip navigation

Martand: View of temple from the east

This item is provided for research purposes. Contact the Australian National University Archives at butlin.archives@anu.edu.au for permission to use.

Download (16.63 MB)


CollectionsArthur Llewellyn Basham
Title: Martand: View of temple from the east
Author(s): Fergusson, James
Photographer: Arthur Llewellyn Basham
Keywords: Kashmir-- Kashmir - Architecture;architecture;diagrams/drawings;book scan
Series/Report no.: Basham Collection
Description: The central shrine is placed in the middle of a rectangular court with a surrounding cellular peristyle 220 x 142 feet in dimension. It was built by King Lalitaditya in the middle of the 8th cent. Special is the addition of a portico to the central building for special rites in conjunction with the worship of the sun. Between portico and cella is another small chamber corresponding to the pronaos of a Greek temple. The shrine was originally covered by a pyramidal roof, and attained a height of c. 75 feet. The massive decoration of its exterior contains elements specially typical of the architecture of Kashmir. On each of the four facades is a pediment supported on fluted pseudo-Doric pilasters enclosing a trefoil arch that originally held the statue of a deity. (Rowland, p. 120) Late Roman-Syrian architecture combined with Bengali forms and late Gupta sculpture (Goetz, p. 142)
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/1885/176158
Other Identifiers: ANUA 682-1163

Download

File Description SizeFormat Image
ANUA_682_1163.tif16.63 MBTIFFThumbnail


Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

Updated:  19 May 2020/ Responsible Officer:  University Librarian/ Page Contact:  Library Systems & Web Coordinator